National Aviary Internships
Interns at the National Aviary gain professional experiences and real world skills, earn college credits, forge lasting connections, and explore career paths in animal care, the zoological feed, or nonprofit management. There is an internship for almost every career path at the National Aviary. Interns may help provide care for the birds, assist with educational programs, develop marketing campaigns, and assist with the planning of major fundraising events.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, a limited number of remote internships will be available for the fall 2021 semester in our Marketing and Philanthropy departments. On site internships are not being offered at this time.
Marketing & Communications Intern: Remote – Fall
National Aviary Marketing & Communications Internship
This internship is geared towards students interested in a career in non-profit or cultural attraction marketing and communications. Interns will assist the National Aviary’s Marketing Department with event planning, developing marketing campaigns, digital media, and conducting research.
Please note, due to COVID-19 this is a remote position and will not be working onsite.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Assist with the planning and execution of major marketing events, working with marketing and sales initiatives.
– Conduct research needed for various marketing projects.
– Implement marketing tactics related to publicity, advertising and promotions.
– Assist with the preparation and distribution of press releases, maintain press clip library and statistics.
– Creating social media content, including writing/photography/video birds, animals, special events, guest experiences, etc.
– Consistently update internal and external digital media archives.
– Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and Skills:
– College Junior or Senior with a concentration in Marketing, Communications, Business, English, Journalism or Public Relations
– Ability to think innovatively and creatively
– Ability to take initiative
– Excellent written and verbal communications skills
– Detail oriented thinking
– Ability to work independently, quickly and under pressure
– Marketing and/or Public Relations coursework a plus
– Video editing a plus
– Ability to multi-task
– Must be at least 18 years of age
– Proficiency in Microsoft office
– Past or current involvement in an any of the following areas: marketing, communications, event planning, customer/guest services
– Consistent internet access; this internship is remote only.
Hours, Start Date, Duration
Flexible within business hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm). A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week is required. The internship will start in the fall at a mutually agreed upon date and may continue into the academic year depending on mutual interests and satisfactory performance. This is an unpaid internship.
Deadline to apply for Fall 2021 is September 15, 2021. Interested applicants should provide a cover letter, resume, and letter of recommendation to Kristen Migliozzi, Kristen.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Philanthropy Intern: Remote – Fall
National Aviary Philanthropy Department Intern – Remote
Philanthropy Intern Description
The National Aviary is seeking a current college student, graduate student, or recent college graduate who is interested in serving as an intern and providing a wide range of database, copy writing, research, administrative, and general support to the National Aviary’s Philanthropy Department. In return, the National Aviary will provide a structured program in which the intern has the opportunity to gain experience in and familiarity with areas such as fundraising, philanthropy, special events, Membership acquisition and retention, avian conservation issues, and the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization with a national and global reach. The Philanthropy intern will report to the Manager of Institutional Giving, and will collaborate with the Manager of Philanthropy Services, Manager of Philanthropic Partnerships, Senior Manager of Philanthropy, and Director of Philanthropy. This position supports the entire philanthropy team. Please note, due to COVID-19 this is a remote position and will not be working onsite.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist Philanthropy staff with donor and Member communication, including writing correspondence
- Manage projects related to our special events
- Assist with writing grant proposals, Member renewal letters, and other copy
- Perform research of potential donors, partners, and sponsors as needed
- Enter information into spreadsheets
- Reach out to potential donors and sponsors to discuss opportunities
- Develop fundraising strategies with the assistance of the Philanthropy team
- Strong writing and research abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel
- Past or current involvement in any of the following areas: development (yes, fundraising for your scout troop, church, marching band, student council, etc. counts), membership, special events, marketing
- Experience with writing for social media is a plus
- Desire to learn more about fundraising and philanthropy
- Excellent interpersonal skills and attention to detail
- A demonstrated commitment to the National Aviary’s mission and values
- High ethical standards and personal integrity
- Preference will be given to students earning credits for their internship
- Job listing is for a part-time, unpaid internship, with an estimated 20 hours/week
- No housing provided
What to expect
- A collaborative environment with some tasks that are tailored to your interests
- Regular check-ins to assess progress and exchange formal feedback
- A fun and unique working environment (Please note, due to COVID-19 this is a remote opportunity.)
Hours, Start Date, Duration
Flexible within business hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm). A commitment of 16-20 hours per week is required. The internship will start in the fall at a mutually agreed upon date and may continue into the winter depending on mutual interests and satisfactory performance. This is an unpaid internship.
Deadline to apply for Fall 2021 is September 15, 2021. Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Applying for an Internship
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, a limited number of remote internships will be available for the fall 2021 semester. On site internships are not being offered at this time.
The National Aviary posts all available internships on this website. If you do not see an internship listed that relates to your career path, please continue to check online for any new postings. All National Aviary internships are unpaid and housing is not provided.
All National Aviary interns must have U.S. citizenship or provide a current visa. All staff and interns are required to pass criminal background checks. For questions relating to these requirements, please contact HRJobs@aviary.org.
For general internship questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.