Join Our Team!
The National Aviary is a dynamic place to work, where you can use your unique talents to help us fulfill our mission to inspire respect for nature through an appreciation of birds. We offer a variety of employment, internship, and volunteer positions in numerous departments.
If you see a position that matches your skillset, please fill out the application below, and return it along with your resume to the hiring manager listed in the job description.Download Our Application
Reports to: Director of Facility Operations
Status: Non-exempt, Part-time or Full-time
Department: Buildings and Grounds
Date: August 2020
Please submit your cover letter, application, and resume to Conor McGarvey at email@example.com
The Buildings and Grounds Crewmember is an important role in the Buildings and Grounds Department. The Crewmember is responsible for creating a clean, safe, and comfortable environment for the National Aviary’s Animal collection, visitors, and staff. The Crewmember directly affects the Visitor Experience and the working conditions of staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs major cleaning of assigned areas; cleans and maintains buildings, furnishings, ground and property.
- Performs daily floor maintenance of all main hallways and visitor space areas.
- Cleans, sanitizes and disinfects restroom facilities and fixtures including sinks, urinals and toilets; washes windows, mirrors and walls; monitors and maintains adequate supplies in the restrooms
- Empties, sanitizes and deodorizes trash and recycling containers.
- Cleans and dusts furniture, air vents, doorframes, doors, walls, windows and window blinds, mirrors and baseboards.
- Identifies and reports building maintenance needs throughout the facilities.
- Completes special cleaning details as requested.
- Assists with daytime events: moves and arranges furniture; opens and secures buildings; locks entrances, exits, doors and other mechanisms in Aviary buildings.
- When working evening events:
- Sets up and breaks down events, including moving equipment (tables, chairs, benches, trash/ recycling receptacles, pop tents, portable lamp posts, sound systems, and extension cords); opens and secures buildings; locks entrances, exits, doors and other mechanisms in Aviary facility.
- Adheres to event guidelines and follows direction from events staff during all events to ensure high visitor satisfaction.
- Performs frequent rounds of visitor spaces, discreetly tidying and pulling trash/ recycling as necessary.
- Works with Animal Programs in the cleaning and maintenance of off-exhibit holding.
- Performs landscaping duties, as needed, including maintenance of grounds, parking lot, sidewalks, and snow removal.
- Assists with other departments, including but not limited to special events, as needed to support operations
- Adheres to all National Aviary protocols and procedures
* Note, as this time we are not currently accepting internship applications.
Seasonal internships are available in a variety of departments. Interns at the National Aviary can develop marketable skills, make important connections, and learn firsthand about the rewarding career opportunities available in zoos.
Volunteering with the National Aviary
The National Aviary is accepting volunteer applications for select positions which provide opportunities for volunteers to responsibly engage with Aviary visitors in free-flight habitats while following safety guidelines set forth by the CDC and Allegheny County Health Department.
Become a volunteer to meet new people and engage in lifelong learning with a variety of roles and opportunities.
Already a volunteer? Login here.
The National Aviary is an Equal Opportunity Employer.