The National Aviary offers a variety of employment positions in numerous departments. Below is a list of open positions at the National Aviary that are currently accepting applications.
The National Aviary is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For internships, please check our internship page. To volunteer, please go to the volunteer page.
Visitor Services Associate, Full-time, non-exempt position
Job Title: Visitor Services Associate, full-time regular, non-exempt
Department: Visitor Services
- Greeting guests and completing the check-in process.
- Utilizing the Point-of-Sale system efficiently for admission, merchandising, and scheduling.
- Directing school and party groups.
- Promoting memberships and our education programs.
- Pricing merchandise and accurately maintaining and replacing stock sold from display.
- Communicating with other departments to ensure accurate scheduling and staffing.
- Having an understanding of the National Aviary’s history and also be equipped to share interesting facts about the birds.
- Must be highly professional, respectful, and responsive when interacting with visitors and colleagues.
- Is an effective communicator.
- Is well organized, with both time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Works well on a team and is adaptable to a constantly changing work environment.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Experience with a Point-of-Sale system preferred.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must be available weekdays and weekends.
- Must be available to work during events.
- Individuals with flexible schedules are preferred.
- Chosen applicants must be able to pass the required PA Child Abuse History Investigation and the PA Criminal Record Investigation in order to have final acceptance as an employee if they are hired.
If this is an opportunity that interests you, please forward your cover letter, resume, and salary requirments to Lori.Urbowitz@aviary.org and note “Visitor Services Associate” in the subject line.
Veterinary Technician, part-time seasonal
Job Title: Veterinary Technician
Department: National Aviary Veterinary Hospital
The National Aviary Hospital is searching for a Veterinary Technician who has experience working with birds and a willingness to learn more avian medicine skills.
- Provide medical care for the hospital patients, including administering medications, fluids, and applying bandages.
- Test collections: setup, perform, and break down test procedures, including blood work, radiographs, cytology, & cultures. Process samples, maintain lab logs, and perform basic microscopy.
- Fill prescriptions according to established pharmacy standards.
- Assist in emergencies by triaging patients. Provide high quality ICU care.
- Perform daily patient assessments to monitor for a response to treatment.
- Administer vaccinations and other preventative medicine practices.
- Provide care to newly acquired animals in quarantine. Familiar or experienced with health certificates and animal shipments.
- Maintain medical records according to policies, including treatment sheets, ICU sheets, weight logs, reproduction forms, diet, and husbandry forms.
- Maintain the medical inventory and central supply. Keep hospital areas clean, organized, and stocked.
- Report to supervisors daily with a Tech Report of what was done according to the schedule, updates on new developments, and tasks to be re-scheduled.
- 2 year diploma from Veterinary Technician school.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in a zoo, wildlife center, or with exotic animals.
- Capable of handling a variety of species of birds for tests and treatments.
- Experienced with maintaining anesthetic and surgical equipment, including surgical packs, sterilization, surgery set-ups, and assisting as a scrub nurse.
- Ability to work additional hours if necessary.
- Must be able to climb stairs and lift 30 pounds.
- Chosen applicants must also be able to pass the required PA Child Abuse History Clearance and the PA Criminal Record Investigation in order to have final acceptance as an employee.
Please forward your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com and note “Vet Tech Part-time Seasonal” in the subject line.