Hand feed a colony of African Penguins!
Available to visitors at $99 per person
Members: $89.10 per person
Includes General Admission
This unique opportunity is offered twice daily at 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. between March 15 and November 30.
- Gear up with boots and hip-waders and step onto the rocky beach of Penguin Point alongside an aviculturist.
- Learn about the various types of fish penguins eat, and the techniques the team at the National Aviary uses to feed and care for our penguins.
- Hand-feed fish to adorable penguins! Some penguins will waddle right up to you to take the fish from your hand while others prefer to catch their meal as you toss a fish their way.
- You may get the opportunity to touch a penguin’s slick feathers.
- Learn all about African Penguins and the importance of choosing sustainable seafood to help protect seabirds in the wild.
- Each animal encounter is limited in size to allow for a personal experience and this is a private encounter limited to only one participate group of 1-2 guests.
- Staff will wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth.
- Guests are also required to wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth.
- Guests are provided with hand sanitizer before and after any animal interactions.
- Guests are provided with gloves to wear during the feeding experience.
- The National Aviary is performing frequent cleaning and disinfection of surfaces throughout the day.
Email email@example.com or call 412-258-9445 for more information or with questions.
- To ensure the best experience for guests and our penguins, Private Penguin Feedings are for guests ages 12 and older. Guests 16 and under need to be accompanied by an adult over 18 years of age.
- Cell phones are permitted in the exhibit; however, the ability to use such devices in Penguin Point during the feeding will be left up to the discretion of the National Aviary staff member overseeing the encounter. National Aviary staff are not able to take photos using a participants device.
- Attire: We will provide rain pants and jackets (available in sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL, 3X), boots (available in sizes M5/W7, M7/W9, M9/W11, M11/W13, M14/W16), and latex gloves (please notify us if you have a latex allergy at the time of booking).
- Guests must wear socks (available for purchase in the gift shop), and long pants are highly recommended.
- Entering the Habitat: Access to the feeding area involves climbing a short flight of steps and walking over uneven terrain. You will be seated in the exhibit for the feeding. Seats are portable chairs with a weight capacity of 250 lbs.
- Interacting with our Penguins: We ask that guests walk slowly and carefully, as our penguins will be in the exhibit with you.
- Inclement weather: This is an outdoor experience. In the event of inclement weather, we will cancel the program based on our assessment of bird and guest safety, providing as much notice as possible. We will reschedule or issue a full refund upon cancellation.
- Personal Items: We will store your personal items that cannot be taken into the exhibit with you. The National Aviary is not responsible for lost or stolen items.