Bring your students to the National Aviary for an unforgettable learning experience!
Our field trip programs help students to understand important conservation and environmental concepts through engaging studies of birds from across the globe! They are age-appropriate and standards-based perfect for groups of more than 15 people. Offered Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, we have three immersive education packages, which allow your students to connect with nature and get up close to beautiful birds from around the world.
Choose one of three options for your field trip:
Get Even Closer with a National Aviary Educational Program plus African Adventure Presented by AAA Travel
This package includes National Aviary admission, an interactive program with one of our educators and an Animal Ambassador, and our immersive bird show, African Adventure Presented by AAA Travel! ! During your field trip, your class will also have time to walk through our immersive habitats for a self-guided tour.
Pricing: $15 per person year-round
Get Closer with a National Aviary Educational Program and Self-Guided Tour
Enjoy an educational program led by a National Aviary educator, complete with a visit from an Animal Ambassador! During your field trip, your class will also have time to walk through our immersive habitats for a self-guided tour.
Pricing: September – February: $12 per person | March – August: $13 per person
Get Close on a Self-Guided Tour
Venture through lush, engaging habitats while beautiful birds fly around you! Perfect for groups of 15 or more, this self-guided tour allows you to explore the National Aviary at your own pace.
Pricing: $12 per person
You can also add on our immersive bird show, African Adventure Presented by AAA Travel, for just $3 per person!
Group Size and Student-to-Chaperone Ratios
For group visits and field trips to the National Aviary, minimum group size is 15 paying participants. The National Aviary requires 1 adult chaperone for every 5 students for preschool groups, and 1 adult chaperone for every 10 students for all other grades. These chaperones, plus the bus driver, receive complimentary admission. National Aviary memberships are not applicable for educational programs.
The National Aviary can provide limited lunch spaces for your group, as availability permits, and if lunch space is requested at time of reservation. In addition, hot or cold group lunches can be ordered directly through Atria’s Kookaburra Kitchen, the National Aviary’s onsite cafe.
Buses may drop off passengers at the National Aviary’s main entrance located on Arch Street with motor coach parking on Arch Street or Western Avenue. Cars and vans may park in the National Aviary lot; the parking fee is $5 per vehicle and subject to availability.
Hours of Operation
An indoor facility open 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. daily, except Tuesdays during our seasonal fall hours. We are also closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
Within West Park on Pittsburgh’s historic North Side, a short drive from downtown. Easy access to major interstates including I-376, I-279 and Route 28.
Welcoming to persons with disabilities, in accordance with ADA guidelines.
Purchase a catered package to complement your visit, or peruse a variety of snack and meal options at Atria’s Kookaburra Café with seating in our glass domed atrium.
Commemorate your trip with a souvenir. Find unique gift items for any occasion!
Enhanced Safety Protocols
The safety of your students is our top priority. In order to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community, please abide by these safety guidelines.
- All program participants (adults and students) must wear a mask covering their nose and mouth for the duration of the visit. Chaperones are required to reinforce this policy.
- If you have a COVID-19 outbreak in your school within 10 days before or after your scheduled program date, please inform our team as soon as possible.
- If a student or adult in your party is exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, or has been in close contact with someone who has been confirmed positive for COVID-19 in the last 10 days, we ask that they remain home and avoid coming to the National Aviary.
- Only fully-vaccinated team members will conduct your education program.
- Our team will always wear masks over their noses and mouths.
- Our team will practice social distancing with your students.
- Visitors are required to wear masks over their nose and mouth.
- The National Aviary is routinely cleaned and sanitized for your safety.
- Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout the facility.
- A MERV 13 ventilation and air filtration system is used throughout our facility to enhance air purification.
Schedule Your Visit Today! Here’s How:
- Have 3 dates in mind in case your preferred date is unavailable
- Use our online form to begin your reservation process. Or contact the National Aviary’s Education Groups Coordinator at 412-258-9439. Registration is required at least 3 weeks in advance.
- Upon selection of your date, you will be emailed an education group contract.
- Your reservation is final only after the National Aviary’s receipt of your signed contract and your non-refundable deposit.
Prices subject to change
PLEASE NOTE: The National Aviary is NOT an allergen-free facility, as many of our birds’ diets include nuts, seeds, and other potential human allergens.